What is TOEFL?
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is an examination administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and is use to evaluate a non-native English speaker’s proficiency in English Language. The test is accepted by many English-speaking academic and professional institutions.
TOEFL is one of the two major English-language tests in the world, the other being is the IELTS. TOEFL is a trademark of the Educational Testing Service (ETS), a private non-profit organization, which designs and administers the tests. ETS issues official score reports, sent independently to institutions, for two years following the test.
The TOEFL test was first administered in 1964 by the Modern Language Association financed by grants from the Ford Foundation and Danforth Foundation. In 1965, The College Board and ETS jointly assumed responsibility for the continuation of the TOEFL testing program.
The TOEFL test is the most comprehensive and respected English-language test in the world, recognized by more than 10,000 colleges, universities and agencies in more than 130 countries, including Australia, Canada, the U.K. and the United States. Few important characteristics of the TOEFL iBT® that you should consider before deciding are:
- Globally Accepted: More than 10,000 colleges, agencies and other institutions in over 130 countries accept TOEFL scores.
- Exhibits your English skill to succeed: TOEFL iBT measures skills relevant to the demand’s international students face. Questions are 100% academic and replicate real classroom situations. For that reason, many universities consider it the most appropriate test to use when making admissions decisions.
- Equitable: TOEFL iBT is known for its quality and fairness. All students have similar test-taking experience, and scores are checked anonymously by ETS-certified experts.
- Feedback in a Flash: You can view your scores online 15 working days after you test, and receive useful feedback on how to improve your skills.
What is TOEFL Module?
There are three types of the test: paper version (PBT – Paper-based Test), computer-based (CBT – Computer-based Test) and online version (iBT – Internet-based Test). Currently TOEFL iBT completely displace CBT, and it’s the most common type of examination. iBT version includes tasks in the following sections: Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing. The test lasts no more than 4 hours.
What skills are tested?
The TOEFL iBT® test measures academic listening, reading, speaking and writing English skills from intermediate to advanced levels. Test takers are asked to perform tasks that combine more than one skill, such as: Read, listen and then speak in response to a question.
Top 10 Reasons to Get IELTS Coaching in Bengaluru
Number of questions
How is TOEFL scored?
The TOEFL iBT test is scored on a scale of 0 to 120 points. Each four sections (Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing) is scored separately. The number of points received for each section is converted to a scaled score of 0 to 30, for a combined total possible score of 120, as shown below:
Comparison of IELTS / PTE / TOEFL
IELTS – PTE – TOEFL Score Comparisons
According to the ETS, the conducting body of TOEFL, as it is an English language proficiency test, so, there will not be any specific eligibility criteria for giving the TOEFL exam. Anyone who wishes to work or study abroad can give this exam in order to prove his/her English language proficiency for getting admissions in the universities or organizations based in English speaking countries. Apart from this, there is also no set age limit for giving the TOEFL exam, generally, those who have completed their high school or equivalent can give this exam.
- The TOEFL iBT test is delivered via the internet and is administered online at testing sites across the globe. It monitors reading, writing, speaking and listening skills of the candidates and is offered 50 times a year.
- The TOEFL PBT test was a paper-and-pencil test, which has been discontinued now used to analyse the reading, writing, grammar and listening skills of the candidates. It was offered in areas where testing through the internet was not possible.
- The revised TOEFL paper-delivered Test, which replaced the TOEFL PBT test analyses the writing, reading, and listening skills of the candidates. The speaking skills cannot be measured because of the limitations of capturing the spoken responses.
Cancelling the registration before the 4-days advance deadline then only half of the test fee will be repaid. Refunds are paid only in US dollars and cash refunds are also not available.
It is the centre where one can visit in person and get complete information about the TOEFL test and the registration. Some centres assist candidates in registering online and pay a fee with the candidate’s credit card. Apart from this, in some of the areas, candidates can purchase a TOEFL iBT Registration Voucher in the local currency. Moreover, a printed TOEFL® Test Prep Planner is provided to the aspirants for free if they register with the help of a TOEFL iBT Resource Center.
Registration for the TOEFL exam closes 7 days prior to the test date. The candidate has to pay a late fee of US $ 40 if they fail to register before this deadline. Late registration is closed 4 days prior to the test date.
Details of fees for other services are given below:
|Registration||Varies from country to country|
|Reinstatement of cancelled scores||US$20|
|Additional score reports (per institution or agency)||US$20 each|
|Speaking or Writing Section score review||US$80|
|Speaking and Writing Section score review||US$160|
Yes, the aspirants can retake the TOEFL test as many times as they wish, however, one cannot take it more than once in a 12-day period. If the candidate has already registered for the exam, then he/she cannot register again for the test within 12 days of their existing appointment.
- In case the violation is identified after registration, the test appointment of the candidate will be cancelled.
- If the violation is identified after the test, then the score of the candidate will be cancelled and the test fee will also be not refunded.
My son Kukke Aditya recently used eStudy Abroad to help me apply for a Master’s program at RMIT 2023 in Melbourne Thanks to their help, especially Neethu Gowda, education consultants were knowledgeable, patient and very professional, taking the time to answer every question I had.I was able to successfully get into the program! I’m so grateful for their assistance throughout the process. In particular, I’d like to thank Mrs. Lakshmi Raghavendra (Sydney) for referring me to eStudy Abroad. I would definitely recommend eStudy Abroad to anyone looking for help with their university applications.
I am extremely satisfied with estudy abroad, there is no negative points to talk about estudy abroad. it is the best consultant which provides both coaching as well as helping in Canada student Visa process, the services extended by estudy abroad consultants with regard to my admission, hostel accommodation, and other formalities etc.