Australia student visa

Welcome to

Australia Student Visa

Australia student visa Overview

The Australian Student Visa allows you to study and work in Australia for a period equal to the duration of your Course plus one month (28 days after the last day of class). The applicant needs to be at least 6 years old when making the application.

A Student Visa can be associated with:

  • Language Courses (eg: General English, IELTS Preparation et Cambridge, etc..);
  • Professional Courses (VET Courses, Vocational Education & Training);
  • Undergraduate Courses (Bachelor degree, Master’s and PhD).

To be granted a Student Visa, prospective students must meet requirements relating to their financial capacity, English language proficiency, and educational qualifications

The Australian student visa is approved only if combined with an accredited course provided by a registered Australian Education Provider, College or University. The Student Visa is linked to the confirmation of enrolment (COE = Confirmation of Enrolment), which identifies the start and end date of the course.

Student Visas Requirements

The student visa you need depends on the chosen course of study. As a guide, the typical key requirements the applicant needs to meet are:

  • Issued an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) certificate
  • Meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement
  • Sufficient funds for airfares, course fees and living costs
  • English language proficiency
  • Meet health and character requirements
  • Acceptable Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

5 Easy Steps to Apply for your Australian Student visa

  • Decide on a course and institution
  • Apply for the course
  • Receive a letter of offer
  • Receive confirmation of enrolment
  • Apply for your visa

Changes to Australia student visa from July 1st, 2016

Migration legislation amendment has been made to simplify the student visa subclasses, new legislation will come into effect on July 1st, 2016.

If you intend to study in Australia you will need to apply for the Student Visa Subclass 500 visa.

If you plan to come to Australia to provide care to a student under 18 years, you can apply for the Student Guardian Visa Subclass 590.

Major changes of the Australian Student Visa include the following:

  • Place and Manner of Visa Application – Can I apply or renew my student visa when I am in Australia?
    Application will need to be made as an online application; The applicant could be in or outside of Australia when applying for the visa.If applying onshore, certain visa holders will NOT be entitled to make a valid student visa application.
  • Education provider’s immigration risk is taken into consideration in assessing the student’s genuine intention of temporary entry into Australia.
    The Department will assess the education provider’s immigration risk rating based on various risk indicators, such as the rate of visa cancellations, the number of previous refusals, and the rate of student visa holders becoming unlawful non-citizens after their arrival into Australia.The Department also indicates that it would NOT disclose the information of the education provider’s risk level due to commercial consideration.The students are encouraged to undertake thorough research before making the decision to enrol into the Australian education provider’s courses.
  • Visa conditions – Can I change my course (education sector)?
    Even though there is going to be ONE visa subclass for students, the students will only be able to change their course/s that are at the same level or at a higher level than the registered courses.For example, students may be able to change from a Diploma course into another Diploma course, or to a Bachelor course or Master course;Under the new policy, students will NOT be allowed to change courses from a higher level onto a lower level, for example, from a Bachelor course into a Diploma course freely;Changes from PhD onto a Master degree would be the exception.
  • Genuine Temporary Entrant Requirement (GTE)
    The Department will take into consideration various factors in assessing the GTE:
  • The student financial eligibility
    The student personal circumstances in the home country
    The value of the proposed course in Australia
    The immigration history of the student
    The relevance of the course to previous studies or employment
  • Financial capability
    The Department will take into consideration various factors in assessing the GTE:travel expenses
  • living costs for the first 12 months
    AUD$19,830 for student
    AUD$19,830 for student guardian
    AUD$6,940 for spouse or de facto partner
    AUD$2,970 for each dependent child

annual course fees for the first 12 months

annual income requirement

  • AUD$60,000 for 1 x student application
  • AUD$70,000 for student visa application with secondary applicant included or for student guardian applicant

Financial capability will be accepted with evidence provided by applicants themselves, their spouses or parents; new policy has excluded the grandparents and other relatives from providing financial support for the student.

Frequently Asked Questions about Student Visas

1) Is there an age limit to apply for a student visa?

The Student Visa doesn’t have age limits and can be acquired several times.The Student Visa can also be a good way to experience short duration study and work experiences without necessarily requesting a Working Holiday Visa, which is only once in a lifetime.

2) Can I include my partner or child on my student visa?

You may include the following people in your visa application:

  • Your partner (married or de facto)
  • Your or your partner’s dependent children.

These family members must meet the requirements to be included in your application as your dependents.

They would be required to provide certain evidence of their relationship to you.

Evidence may include but not limited to the following:

  • Marriage Certificate
  • Birth Certificates
  • Evidence of your de facto relationship (boyfriend/girlfriend may not be considered as partner)

Family members would need to be declared in your application whether they are accompanying you or joining you later.

Your family member will also need to show financial capability to support themselves in Australia.

3) What are the costs of studying in Australia?

The costs of studying in Australia depend on the institution and the level of study you choose.As an international student, your tuition fees are payable before you study. There may be additional costs for your course, including course materials and access to institution facilities.The list below gives you an indication of the range of course costs for different types of qualifications.

  • School – $7,800 to $30,000
  • English language studies – Around $300 per week depending on course length
  • Vocational Education and Training (Certificates I to IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma) – $4,000 to $22,000
  • Undergraduate Bachelor Degree – $15,000 to $33,000*
  • Postgraduate Masters Degree – $20,000 to $37,000*
  • Doctoral Degree – $14,000 to $37,000*

4) Can I change my course (education sector)?

Your student visa is linked to the type of course you are studying. Each student visa subclass covers specific types of course only. If you wish to change your principal course at any time to a course in a different education sector, you must first apply for a new student visa using form 157A.The academic requirements (including evidence of English language skills) you need to study in Australia will vary depending on the level of education you want to study. Institutions can have different entry requirements.

5) Can I apply or renew my student visa while I am in Australia?

Yes, you can apply form Australia, as long as your current visa does not have a “no further stay? condition.

6) Can I work with a Student Visa?

This visa allows you to work legally in a part time job (up to 40 hours every 2 weeks) during your course duration and full time during any course pauses that may occur.Part-time work in Australia (4-5 hours per day) allows you to partially cover the costs of accommodation, food, transport and tourism.

7) What is an Assessment level?

Each student visa application is considered on its individual merits. Assessment levels facilitate this process, allowing us to deliver fast and efficient service to our clients while maintaining the integrity of Australia’s immigration programme.
There are three assessment levels in the student visa programme. They align student visa requirements to the immigration risk posed by applicants from a particular country studying in a particular education sector. Assessment level 1 represents the lowest immigration risk and assessment level 3 the highest. The higher the assessment level, the greater the evidence an applicant is required to demonstrate to support their claims for the grant of a student visa.